As we journeyed together through the incredible year of 2020 we faced many unique challenges and birthed many changes to the way we do life. In spite of the fears and challenges, our family of providers and staff eased through this with grace. In fact, many accomplishments were attained while facing the storm of 2020. Here are a few……
- Urology of Virginia started an early celebration of its 100 year anniversary (2022) with an announcement by US News and World Report. They have confirmed in a global news release, that the sole urology provider for Sentara Norfolk General Hospital is ranked within the top 23 programs in the United States. Taken from the Sentara press release, “The Urology program at Sentara Norfolk General Hospital (SNGH) is ranked No. 23 in the nation due to the great partnership and collaboration with Urology of Virginia and EVMS.
- The American Urological Association (AUA) announced the list of its 2021 AUA Award recipients. Dr. Roger Schultz has won the Distinguished Service Award for outstanding service in advancing the goals of the AUA and for his dedicated service on AUA committees for two decades, as well as his contributions to the Board as the Mid-Atlantic Representative.
- The AIS Channel (Advances In Surgery) broadcasted the first international live-streamed surgery Photoselective Vaporization of the Prostate for BPH a procedure performed by Dr. Gregg Eure (USA) on July 28th of this year. It has been viewed in over 148 countries around the world and most watched surgery on the AIS Channel. In addition, Dr. Eure’s presentations were accepted and recorded at the AUA Annual Meeting, Mid Atlantic AUA and SouthEastern AUA Sections, he presented virtually at the Australian/New Zealand BPH Summit, and resented virtually at two NeoTract BPH Summits. Dr. Eure published 6+ articles in various urology journals including co-author of a lead article in the Journal of Urology: UroCuff and Urology Times re: Real World Study for UroLift, served on the BPH Pathway Panel for UroGPO and SRS Medical, and was honored to be a Top Doc in Hampton Roads.
- Once again our providers are top docs; 2020 Top Docs in the Urology category: Drs. Brugh, DeLong, Eure, Fabrizio, Given, Kelly, Liu, Malcolm, McCammon, Miles-Thomas, Robey, Volz, and Williams. Four of these doctors were selected in an additional category – Surgery Urologic. They are Drs. DeLong, Fabrizio, Liu and Malcolm.
- Dr. Nathan Goldin in partnering with the Virginia Medical Reserve Corps, will be heading up our providers in participating in the COVID-19 mass vaccination program.
- Dr. Virasoro became Professor of Urology at the Department of Urology at EVMS.
- Dr. Jessica Delong became Associate Professor of Urology at the Department of Urology at EVMS and was also recently nominated Fellow of the American College of Surgeons (FACS)
- Jennifer Miles-Thomas, M.D., FPMRS completed her first year as President of Urology of Virginia.
- Dr. Joshua Langston completed his first year as Chief Medical Officer at Urology of Virginia.
- Dr. Gregg Eure and Dr. Joshua Langston have been designated as a Center of Excellence for GreenLight™ Laser Therapy. Dr. Gregg Eure was the first in the state of Virginia to be recognized with this award and Dr. Langston put the number in Virginia to four providers.
- Joshua Langston, M.D., Urology of Virginia in Virginia Beach, VA, has been designated as aUroLift® Center of Excellence.
- Dr. Christi Hughart, who was the Chief of Surgery Sentara Halifax Regional 2020. As the nation continued its battle against the COVID-19 novel Coronavirus, she learned of aerosol boxes being used to protect healthcare workers caring for COVID-19 patients, and made these available in Halifax County.
- In January, we said goodbye to Dr. Miley Walker who practiced urology since 1978 and has been with Urology of Virginia since 2008. Dr. Walker found that practicing medicine was fulfilling and said, “Urological care offers an opportunity to develop gratifying relationships with patients often over an extended period of time. The urologist has an opportunity to constantly learn and utilize the latest medical and surgical treatment modalities”.
“Dr. Miley Walker was my first mentor when I arrived in 1974 as a new urologist with Devine, Poutasse, Fiveash, and Associates. He was a resident and knew the ropes. He showed me where the cafeteria, restroom, entrance, and exit pathways of the old Norfolk General Hospital (wooden floors that creaked and 4-6 bed to a room ward) were located. He provided sound guidance and advice. 45 years have flown by and now we’re both old timers. Congrats Miley for your years of service providing great urologic care to this community.”
Paul F. Schellhammer, M.D., F.A.C.S.
- Dr. Schellhammer was featured in Hampton Roads Physician’s Magazine, recognized by Eastern Virginia Medical School with 45 years of dedicated service.
- Dr. Michael Fabrizio, after 12years of leadership, retired in his role as Managing Partner/ CEO in 2020. He was reappointed to the Board of LUGPA (Large Urology Group Practice Association). He co-authored several peer-reviewed articles: see below titles;
(A multi-institutional randomized controlled trial comparing the first generation transrectal high-resolution micro-ultrasound with conventional frequency transrectal ultrasound for prostate biopsy(BJIU )). -0422R1
—Title: A Retrospective Observational Analysis of Overall Survival with Sipuleucel-T in Medicare Beneficiaries Treated for Advanced Prostate Cancer (Advances in Therapy)
—-17- Gene Genomic Prostate Score Test Results in the Canary Prostate Active Surveillance Study (PASS) Cohort. Journal Clinical Oncology (JCO)
Encore Award for Top Doc in Hampton Roads and Castle and Connelly.