Sexual health can be a vital part of overall health and wellness. Our Physical therapy department works with men and women suffering from different types of sexual dysfunction.
For Women this can include:
- Painful sex (also known as Dyspareunia). This can occur the first time a woman has sexual intercourse or may occur after many years of having pleasurable and non-painful intercourse. Some woman will also describe painful pelvic exams or discomfort with the use of tampons.
- Inability to reach climax (orgasm)– this may be due to underactive or overactive pelvic floor muscles
For Men this can include:
- Erectile Dysfunction (ED) – failure to achieve and sustain erection
- Painful erection or ejaculation
- Testicle pain– also known as orchalgia
Physical therapy can play an important role in optimizing sexual function by providing treatment aimed at restoring pelvic floor muscle control and function.
Our physical therapy approach will use various techniques in order to relax and release chronic muscle tension, mobilize scar and connective tissues, improve skin and soft tissue mobility, increase local blood flow, and optimize pelvic muscle control and coordination.
All of our physical therapists are highly trained in this very specialized area of Physical Therapy. We offer compassionate care to our patients suffering from sexual dysfunction.